Imran welcomes disqualification
Posted on 11 months ago
It must be remembered, he said, that this decision has come about on a petition filed by Pakistan Tehreek e Insaf. The party took the decision to approach the apex court because after Yousaf Raza Gilani had been held in contempt, the Speaker had no authority to question the decision. Her role was simply to transmit the superior court decision to the Election Commission, which she refused to do.
This, said Imran Khan, had created a situation of constitutional deadlock and it was necessary for the Supreme Court to adjudicate upon it.
The decision today according to Chairman PTI was historic because it has demarcated the limits of judicial and parliamentary authority. It will set a precedent that once the superior judiciary has convicted someone, no non judicial forum can hold otherwise.
The obvious implication said Imran Khan is that once a conviction from a court of law has attained finality, disqualification from membership of a legislature would be automatic.
comments powered by Disqus
More Front NEWS
- Independents join PML-N
- No repolling in NA-125:?ECP
- ‘Talks with Taliban Pak prerogative’
- Fazl calls on Zardari
- Measles claims 3 more children’s life
- 24 children die of diarrhea in Peshawar
- Sockless brown sahibs to save power...a nonsense!
- London police launch probe against MQM chief
- CJ seeks reports on human rights violations
- SC suspends all postings, transfers by caretakers