Cambodian military helicopter crash, 5 dead
Posted on 2014-07-14 09:45:40
PHNOM PENH: Five Cambodian soldiers died and one was seriously injured Monday in a helicopter crash during military training on the outskirts of the capital Phnom Penh, an official said.
"We are investigating to find out the cause of the crash," Defence Minister Tea Banh told AFP by telephone. "Five people were killed and one was seriously injured," he said, adding that the victims were military trainees.
A rescue team and police officers had arrived at the crash site, according to an AFP reporter at the scene who said the wrecked helicopter appeared to be submerged in water in a ditch.
The helicopter was one of 12 choppers Cambodia bought from China last year to boost its military capacity. In 2008 Cambodia´s chief policeman Hok Lundy was killed in a helicopter crash along with the then deputy army commander and two pilots when their chopper went down in bad weather.
comments powered by Disqus
More World NEWS
- Gaza toll rises over 1,270 on day 23 of Israeli assault
- US slaps sanctions on Russian energy, arms and finance
- Gaza death toll rises to over 1240 as Israeli air strike kills eight more
- Seven killed in strike on Khan Yunis in south Gaza: medics
- Six children among 15 dead in Aleppo bombing: Syria monitor
- Boy, 4, killed by Israeli tank fire in northern Gaza
- 17 killed by Iraq army in anti-jihadist raid: docor, tribal head
- Nuclear strike on White House threatened by N. Korea
- Downing of flight MH17 'may amount to a war crime': UN
- One killed, several hurt as lightning strikes Venice Beach