Cambodian military helicopter crash, 5 dead
Posted on 2014-07-14 09:45:40
PHNOM PENH: Five Cambodian soldiers died and one was seriously injured Monday in a helicopter crash during military training on the outskirts of the capital Phnom Penh, an official said.
"We are investigating to find out the cause of the crash," Defence Minister Tea Banh told AFP by telephone. "Five people were killed and one was seriously injured," he said, adding that the victims were military trainees.
A rescue team and police officers had arrived at the crash site, according to an AFP reporter at the scene who said the wrecked helicopter appeared to be submerged in water in a ditch.
The helicopter was one of 12 choppers Cambodia bought from China last year to boost its military capacity. In 2008 Cambodia´s chief policeman Hok Lundy was killed in a helicopter crash along with the then deputy army commander and two pilots when their chopper went down in bad weather.
comments powered by Disqus
More World NEWS
- Erdogan's foreign minister Davutoglu named as next Turkish PM
- Bangladesh charges 13 Islamists over deadly 2001 attack
- Bus falls down gorge in northern India, killing 22
- Protests cool in Ferguson after top US law official visits
- Israeli strikes kill 15 on day 45 of Gaza war
- Reformist journalist freed on bail in Iran
- Israeli air strikes pound Gaza; 6 dead in Rafah
- Thai army chief named prime minister
- Indonesian president says Islamic State 'embarrassing' Muslims
- Japan mulls building its own fighter jets: report