Kabul to take full control of Bagram jail
Posted on 4 months ago
An agreement to the effect was reached at a meeting between President Hamid Karzai and US Defense Secretary Leon Panetta at Pentagon on Thursday, presidential spokesman Aimal Faizi told Afghan media.
All foreigners would be excluded from the Bagram jail commission, according to Faizi, who said any individuals detained by American troops would be hand over to Afghan authorities within 96 hours. Problems surfacing over important inmates would be referred to and resolved by Afghanistan’s defence minister and the commander of NATO-led troops, the spokesman explained.
President Karzai and his US counterpart Barack Obama are scheduled to meet behind closed doors for two hours before noon today (Saturday). They will also give a joint news conference at the end of their talks on ending the war.
Separately, Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs Jawed Ludin billed as productive the meetings between the visiting delegation and American officials.
The discussions focused on issues including equipping Afghan forces, transferring all foreign -controlled jails and inmates to Afghans, funding fundamental projects.
comments powered by Disqus
More Afghanistan NEWS
- Senate briefed on treatment of drug addicts
- Nearly 2000 appear in test for police job
- New mining law to woo investors
- Four ANA troops perish in separate bomb attacks
- Local forces able to take charge of security: ISAF Commander
- Kyrgyzstan shutting down key US route to Afghanistan
- 4 ANA soldiers arrested over death of suspect in Helmand
- No need to worry about post-2014 scenario: Ghani
- 75 Faryab schoolgirls ill after gas attack
- 6000 kg of explosives seized